Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WTF? What's The Fashion? Cocktail Coats

The newest take on the outerwear trend for late winter and this upcoming spring is wearing your trench coat as a cocktail dress. Now to me, a coat is a coat. I'm having a difficult time seeing it worn only as a dress. I sincerely hope that even though these trench coats, if styled correctly, can give the illusion that one is wearing a dress that the fit and fabric is weather friendly. I also greatly hope that these celebs are not treating these trenches solely as dresses where they are practically naked underneath. I'm just saying. The proper way to layer your cocktail coat on top is to wear a sophisticated party dress, skirt or short of equal length to the coat or shorter so it seems that all that is being worn is the coat like the trend permits. To obtain cocktail chicness with a trench coat is by having a slender waist cinched in the middle with a belt, lest your shape looks a little more boxy and a lot less vivacious. Secondly, opaque tights worn underneath makes this look more dressy and cold weather-ready. Lastly, view the hairstyles and accessories worn by the three celebs below: romantic hairstyles (waves, curls and updos), basic black pumps or strappy heels and chained cocktail handbags. These fashion-forward tips are taken from a stylist's point-of-view on how to chicly wear a trench coat in the form of a cocktail dress.

Join me this weekend on the Style~ Spotlighted: The "F" Word! There will be a post featuring the top trends that were spotlighted at New York Fashion Week!!



Celebs Seen on the Scene in a New Form of Cocktail Chicness!

Chloe Moretz, Alexa Chung, Kirsten Dunst

Chloe Moretz (Miu Miu), Alexa Chung (Marc Jacobs) and Kirsten Dunst (Burberry Prorsum)


30 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by sweetie! I follow you now and hope you follow back so we keep in touch!
    xoxo,
    Fashionhypnotised girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the miu miu
    http://www.sazistopsecret.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this!! The Burberry Prorsum is my fave <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloe's & Kisten's are my fave! I've worn a trench coat before as a top, why not give it an extra use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. those coats are fab!! need to buy one like this:) I have a giveaway on my blog so feel free to join it:)

    http://stylewithoutlimits.blogspot.com/2012/02/first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wear my trench as a dress! Maybe for hubby but not as an outfit! Can't wait to see NYFW post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look! And am loving that Burberry one! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. great advice :) i think you're right, but i really do love that burberry coat on kirsten! it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the burberry!!! But not like a dress!! Just like a coat ;)
    kiss dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! Kirsten Dunst looks FABULOUS! I love love this look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the Miu Miu coat!

    http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also a bit confused by this style but Alexa Chung and Kirsten Dunst work it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cocktail coats. They seem very classy and, like, pure awesome. Just pure awesome. How can you be depressed while wearing a cocktail coat? YOU CAN'T.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, cocktail coats should be worn over something but they're cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooh so chic!!! Need to find one~, and then an event to wear it to!

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think Kirsten's coat is pretty boss!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the 1st one a lot :)

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Burberry! Thanks so much for following me on Pinterest - I'm following you now too!!

    xRachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love me these trench coats. they look so chic and classy. thank you for stopping by my blog and yes i would love for us to follow each other and keep in touch.

    http://www.cactusandcucumber.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello my pretty girl, hope you're doing well!!! How is the life there now?
    I love those pretty coats, they look so elegant and chic. True this coat became a replacement for a dress, but as you said- dress is a dress, and coat is a coat! I'm loving all Burberry coats from previous post!!!
    Kisses & hugs for my dear!!

    Jelena
    glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I kinda like the middle one the most ...it looks the most different!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this trend is not for me..
    i love my trench coats.. and i wear them all the time
    but as coat lol not a dress.

    thanks so much for stopping by xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these looks, celeb fashion reviews are the best!

    xo Gillie

    ReplyDelete
  24. The MuiMui one is absolute perfection.
    http://fashberries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love this! great trend to report on

    ReplyDelete
  26. I´m sure these coats are called "indoor trench coats". I love the sophistication of that blue trench. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great coats! Love the A-line ones so my favorite for sure is that Navy blue. Just fabulous! Hope you are having a great week hon!
    xoxo

    http://onestyleatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been loving the cocktail coat trend - Alexa Chung's coat is absolutely stunning!
    xox,
    Cee
    http://cocoandvera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

State your Satisfashions! P.S. I ALWAYS follow back those who follow me, so until then . . . Stay FABulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...